Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida

Probation Fees

My b/f is on probation for a battery case but due to unemployment was unable to pay the fines which resulted in a warrant for his arrest he now lives with me and I would like to set a way to start paying the fees again is this something that can be done w/ avoiding jail time? Until the time he couldn't pay he had reported to his probation monthly and did begin the payments.

Asked on 7/19/07, 5:59 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Scott R. Jay Law Offices of Scott R. Jay

Re: Probation Fees

NOTE: This communication is not intended as and should not be interpreted as legal advice. Rather, it is intended solely as a general discussion of legal principles. You should not rely on or take action based on this communication without first presenting ALL relevant details to a competent attorney in your jurisdiction and then receiving the attorney's individualized advice for you. By reading the "Response" to your question or comment, you agree that the opinion expressed is not intended to, nor does it, create any attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. If you do not agree, then stop right here, and do not read any further.

Maybe and maybe not. He has violated his probation by not paying his fines. He could have requested to do community service to work off his fine if he had no job but apparently did not. Your last line suggested that he stopped reporting also which is far worse. He was reported by his probation officer and a warrant issued.

He should retain an attorney to work with him on this matter. Frankly, he will most likely not be successful on his own and will face jail time. There is no magic wand to avoid jail if you violate probation.

Scott R. Jay, Esq.

Read more
Answered on 7/19/07, 12:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida