Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida

Shoplifting Arrest

I was arrested 13 years ago for shoplifting in Florida when I was 24. A local lawyer took care of my case and I didn't have to appear in court since I lived out of state. I have been living abroad for over 10 years and recently returned to NY. My questions are: How can I find out how the case was resolved (anonymously) as I don't remember and don't have any official documents? Can this come up in a background check/criminal check? How should I respond to questions like ''Have you ever been charged or convicted of a misdemeanor/felony? ''Have you ever been arrested?'' Can this hurt my chances of finding employment? What is the best course of action to take after all these years?

Asked on 7/19/07, 12:19 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nicolas Babinsky SealMyRecord.Com

Re: Shoplifting Arrest

The record of the case is a public record and may be viewable through the internet depending on which county you were arrested. You can also order a copy of the disposition of the case by giving them your name, date of birth, appx date of offense. Someone else can make the request for you if you are paranoid to write the clerk of court. If this was a first offense you likely were not convicted, but you should check before you answer any questions. Have you been arrested? Yes. Were you convicted? You don't know that yet. It can hurt your chances for employment because it is a crime of honesty. If you don't have any other cases, this case likely can be expunged or sealed. What county did it occur in?


Read more
Answered on 7/26/07, 10:45 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida