Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida

My son took a plea based on advice from council. The charges were burglar and kidnapping with a firearm. He did neither of these things, but we were told not to risk a jury trial. He was given the man/min of 10 years. He signed the plea 6/17/18 and was sentenced 7/18/19. Is there ANYTHING we can do to lessen his sentence or revisit the charges? The victim lied to the judge at sentencing hearing and the judge and prosecutor were aware he was lying, but no one said anything. His story has changed several times throughout the process. Is there Anything we can to do help our son?? We need guidance on what our options are. Thank you.

Asked on 8/28/19, 11:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Craig Epifanio Craig Epifanio, P.A.

Sounds like he was given the option to go to a jury trial and chose to plea. If he wanted to show he wasn't guilty that was his chance. So a judge is very likely to not provide relief because his relief was to exercise his constitutional right to a trial by jury. There are many innocent people who choose jail because of the risk of losing. It appears there is probably nothing that can be done. Talk to an attorney that handles appeals to see if there MIGHT be other options.

Read more
Answered on 8/29/19, 8:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida