Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida

ok this is going to sound crazy but i need advice... my daughters father is on parole for murder, i have a clean record however,after picking my daughter up my husband had handed me a black backpack and said it was some things he still had of mine so i put it in the car in the backseat and then i got pulled over and searched, to my suprise they was a small bag drugs stuffed in a little pocket in the bag ITS NOT MINE I DONT TOUCH THAT STUFF,I DONT EVEN DRINK....i really need some legal help im now facing charges if convicted....

Asked on 8/14/14, 8:44 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Craig Epifanio Craig Epifanio, P.A.

You need to meet with an attorney inn your area immediately.

Read more
Answered on 8/15/14, 6:31 am
Nicholas Dorsten Blake & Dorsten, P.A.

This is a not uncommon fact pattern believe it or not. The big issue is if the state will believe you! You need a local lawyer asap to help fight for you.

Read more
Answered on 8/15/14, 7:28 am
David Glicken The Glicken Law Firm

Despite the fact you have been arrested, the State Attorney's Office will have the burden of proving "beyond and to the exclusion of every reasonable doubt" that you had personal knowledge there were drugs in the backpack. In the fact situation you have described, I would recommend you contact an attorney with experience in criminal law matters.

Based upon your explanation of the facts, it is clear you did not have personal knowledge of the illegal drugs, but it is almost impossible for you to personally convince the Prosecutor you were not aware of the drugs, thus the need for an attorney. The selection of the attorney should be based upon several factors, including but not limited to experience, ability to communicate with you, your confidence in the attorney, etc.

Read more
Answered on 8/15/14, 12:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida