Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

In 2015 my husband and I purchased a house in Florida because our son and his wife were always asking us for rent money. They have been living there and were supposed to pay us monthly, but never did. They are now filing for divorce, she and her 3 children left the house. She is saying we have to sell the house and give her half the money. Is that true? My husband is 69 and a disabled veteran and we live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Asked on 10/04/19, 8:05 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Alan Wagner Wagner McLaughlin, P.A.

If the house is in your name, the house is yours and you do not have to sell it. If you bought a house for them and it is in their names, then the court may indeed force a sale and a division of the sales price between the husband and the wife.

Read more
Answered on 10/04/19, 8:07 pm
Robert McCall Law Office of Robert McCall

The name or names on the Deed will be controlling. Review that document.

Read more
Answered on 10/05/19, 10:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida