Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

i am currently almost 5 months pregant and my child's father to be wants nothing to do with myself or the child. i live in florida and he lives in alabama. i do not want or need child support from him. is it possible to have his parental rights voluntarily terminated if my fiance wants to adopt my child? and if so, is it possible to do so without having to pay for an attorney? when i got my divroce in 2006 i did so without an attorney and filed all the necessary forms myself. can i do that in this situation or will it require an attorney?

Asked on 11/09/11, 4:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas Rosenblum Rosenblum Law Offices

Hello: The following is a response to your question: Yes, your fiance can adopt the child, effectively terminating the father's parental rights. I do not do adoptions, but know several good attorneys who have practiced in that area for years. You will need to get the father's signatures on pleadings. I'm not sure if you can do this procedure by yourself, but I would not advise it. If you have contact with the child's father, I would ask him to contribute half of the fees...or else you will have no choice but to persue a paternity suit and have him pay monthly child support. One law firm that does adoptions is: Shorstein & Kelly.

Good luck. If my office can be of any assistance, pls. give me a call. Tom Rosenblum

Read more
Answered on 11/10/11, 2:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida