Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

I have my 5 year old living with me. Dad and I were never married. He now lives in TN. I am in FL. He got a child support order when were were in SC. He is having my paycheck deducted for the child support order. I have already been to court in Marion County - they couldn't do anything. I have been to child support recovery - they couldn't do anything. I got the support order stopped but then he moved to TN and now has AGAIN gone to the court and got an order for child support from me . . . the child has NEVER been with him in TN. No one seems to know what to tell me or what to do about this. I can't get my child on Medicaid or anything because I owe back child support - even thought I HAVE THE CHILD. Can you help?

Asked on 8/13/13, 5:56 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert McCall Law Office of Robert McCall

You need to contact the court that issued the Order. Florida has no ability to stop/ modify a valid Order issued by another state. Anytime you are dealing with a state child support agency I recommend an attorney in that area.

Read more
Answered on 8/14/13, 5:43 am
John Smitten Carey and Leisure

file for custody in FL then FL will take over the case and cancel out the other order.

Read more
Answered on 8/14/13, 5:48 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida