Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

Name Change

I would like information on changing the last names of children, cost, legal rights,. and is it possible and less expensive to just add a last name?

Example: children have mother's last name, what would it take to add father's last name?

Please let me know how and where to procede.

Thank you for your help.

Asked on 6/10/02, 1:09 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

Re: Name Change

Name change requires filing of papers in court with notices filed in newspapers and notice to parents. Reason for name change must be given. If child has creditors they must be notified. Lawyer fee is $750 plus court expenses. The name used does not impact fees.

Read more
Answered on 6/10/02, 1:41 pm

Sanford Martin Martin Law Office

Re: Name Change

Change of name requires filing a Petition For Change of Name for the minor children. Forms can be obtained at Clerk of Courts or various web sites. If you have parental consent for change and there are no other factors such as previous change of names, married minor child, name is different than parents, etc., then change of name is relatively simple. If there are any complications or you don't have a lot of time, you are advised to hire an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 6/10/02, 2:13 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida