Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

I have a child with a man I am not married to. I want to leave the state of Florida and return to Connecticut, to live with my mother. This relationship is verbally and recently physically abusive, I feel so stuck and I have no family in Florida. May I leave the state?

Asked on 3/31/16, 8:19 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Jennifer Jacobs Law Offices of Jennifer A. Jacobs, LLC

If you are not married and the child's father has not established paternity legally, you have sole custody and can move anywhere you want. That being said, if the father files a paternity action right after you move, the court may require you to return the child to Florida.

Read more
Answered on 4/01/16, 6:44 am
Lucreita Becude Lucreita D. Becude, P.A.

If you added the father to the birth certificate, then I suggest you get an attorney and get this matter resolved in the court. You will need to file a Petition for Paternity, Child Support and Supervised Visitation. If the father is only abusive to you, then you could lose on the supervised visitation for the child. You will need to get an order from the court to move out of state.

Read more
Answered on 4/01/16, 7:09 am
John Smitten Carey and Leisure

If not married to him and no court orders in place then yes you can move.

Read more
Answered on 4/03/16, 7:57 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida