Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

Child Support Collection

I live in Miami Beach, Fl. with my 14

y/o daughter and had a custody case

in 1996-2000 in Macomb County,

Michigan. Since then, I have only

received a little over $600 in child

support. My child's natural father

(who lives in Washington) has paid

child support to MC Court (over

$8000), and is in arrears for over

$14,000 (with a warrant out for his

arrest by MC Court.) I contacted MC

Court and was told I cannot receive

this money until I move back to

Michigan, which I cannot do. Can I

collect on this money, and if so, how?

Thank you for your time.

Asked on 7/06/09, 3:03 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brent Rose The Orsini & Rose Law Firm

Re: Child Support Collection

You have a couple of options. One is to contact the Florida Department of Revenue, who will contact Michigan (or Washington) for you at no chrage to collect the support. Next, you can probably (I say "probably" because I'm not a Washington lawyer) hire a Washington lawyer to domesticate your Michigan child support order in Washington and take whatever measures are available against delinquent payors in Washington.

Read more
Answered on 7/06/09, 5:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida