Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

Child support over 18

A friend of mine is the father of an 18 year old daughter. He and the daughter's mom were divorced 15+ years ago (in FL), and per the court's order, the father has paid child support until his daughter recently turned 18. The daughter will now be going to college, and the mother may contribute to the daughter's living expenses at college. The question is: is it possible for the mother to petition the court for a new order of child support to continue while the daughter is college? The father wishes to still help his daughter while she is in college by sending her money directly, rather than to his ex-wife as part of a child support order.

Thank you for your help.

Asked on 6/22/09, 1:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brent Rose The Orsini & Rose Law Firm

Re: Child support over 18

Anything's possible, so she can always try, but she has two serious problems:

1) Child support has already ended, and the law is very strict about restarting child support once it has already ended and been paid in full.

2) Florida only allows child support during college in very, very rare circumstances, such as where the parents went to college and always promised the kids they would go to college on the parents' dime or where the parents agreed in a settlement agreement to college child support.

She can ask, but her odds of winning are extremely, extremely slim, I'd say.

Read more
Answered on 6/22/09, 1:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida