Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

Can a child 17 yrs old decide he wants to live with another parent even if the other parent has primary custody without going through the courts

Asked on 10/07/13, 9:55 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

John Smitten Carey and Leisure


Read more
Answered on 10/08/13, 3:02 am

Robert McCall Law Office of Robert McCall

Under Florida rules the child, any age, has the same rights of any dog or cat. Parents make decisions, not children.

If both parents agree then they can sign a stipulation.

Read more
Answered on 10/08/13, 5:50 am
Gregory Buckley Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law

While a court may allow a 17 year old to testify as to a preference of where to live, if the parent with primary custody is opposed, it will be a difficult process.

If both parents agree to the change, they are going to want to put it in writing so that there are not any misunderstandings later.

Read more
Answered on 10/08/13, 6:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida