Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

I have been in a common law marriage since 1981. I have my social security card in my husband's last name, pay taxes with this name, have bills in this last name. our daughter has his last name. if I wanted to get a fl state id card for identification proof, what could I use as legal proof on the change of my last name from my birth certificate to present name?

Asked on 11/01/13, 3:01 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

Florida does not recognize common law marriage.

Read more
Answered on 11/01/13, 3:05 pm

Robert McCall Law Office of Robert McCall

You got a BIG problem, Florida stopped recognizing common law marriages in the 1970's. I don't know how you got DMV or Social Security to recognize the name change but since the Federal Patriot Act was passed your actions might be viewed as criminal

Read more
Answered on 11/02/13, 7:35 am
John Smitten Carey and Leisure

You cannot do what you are asking, FL will not recognize your common law marriage.

Read more
Answered on 11/02/13, 7:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida