Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

contempt jailtime

I recently got a notice in the mail about being in contempt for not paying child support. I paid off the balance completely but was then hit with $5000 in interest charges. I have to go to court for this tomorrow. Will I go to jail for this or will the judge work out a payment plan since I paid the entire balance off?

Asked on 8/13/07, 6:29 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Re: contempt jailtime

It depends entirely on the judge or magistrate. If you have a good reason for being behind and you do not have the ability to pay (no assets, no cash, low income), you have a better chance of having payments ordered.

Read more
Answered on 8/14/07, 8:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida