Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

If we both have custody of my son and she doesn't have any earned income so there for can't claim taxes and I pay child support can I claim my son as a dependent

Asked on 8/11/13, 1:04 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Brent Rose The Orsini & Rose Law Firm

It's not true that she can't "claim taxes." Many tax-related "refunds" related to children are credits. That means you can get back more from the IRS than you paid in taxes. And you can get back a tax "refund" (a credit) even if you paid no taxes at all. You need to get a court order determining who gets what check back from the IRS in what years. Or, you may even want to split the miney you both get back from the IRS.

Read more
Answered on 8/11/13, 4:20 pm

John Smitten Carey and Leisure

If she has no income and will not be filing an IRS return then yes you can claim the child. This should be reflected in the Court's Order if it is not then you need to clarify that with the court.

Read more
Answered on 8/12/13, 1:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida