Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

Hello. Divorcing police officer in South Florida. He is pushing for quick mutual agreement divorce stating we have nothing to share: no common kids or property. but! he has a pension, he was on the force for 12 years and we have been married for 6. Question: am I entitled for these 6 years of his pension ( 50/50 ?), or how does this work .. also i haven't been working for the last year, having hard time locating full time job in my area of expertise which is IT and i have 17 years experience and being turned away because i overqualified or they ( especially government) always hire a man( no joke).So im trying still, very hard, going for interview, praying i get hired for entry level position, when was making 40.00$ for the last 5 years, so i can leave with my daughter, get appartment and a car. basic things. now he is paying for two bedroom apartment and threatening to throw me out every day. lease is coming up, im panicking. Car is on his name. but i made many payments for it during these years and so as for insurance. i also sold my condo which i had when we met and moved in with him, lost money on that condo, wasnt a good time to sell. i bought him car when i was making good money and paid for his lawyer when his ex found out he is dating me, got jealose and filed for relocation and won and took his three kids back to texas where they visit him every summer. and now my last contract came to en adn and i am looking for full time and its been a nightmare and he has a lawyer already. so, please advise. also also if you know anyone hiring- i know all your applications and a hardware. you can look me up on Linkedin Polina Perdue. Fort Lauderdale. Thank you.

Asked on 4/21/18, 8:45 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert McCall Law Office of Robert McCall

It depends on whether or not he is vested in the Pension Plan. If he is not vested he receives nothing. You could receive a max of 6/20 multiplied by 1/2 if he retired. If he has not retired then the court usually reserves on the issue until he retires since retirement amount today is pure speculation.

If the spouse is the Father of "my daughter" there are restrictions on relocation without court approval; sanction is you lose custody.

Also Police officers know all the Judges and most of the attorneys.

You really need your own attorney who is not afraid of requesting to remove a Judge due to the Husbands relationship with the Judge or who may be pressured by being stopped 10 times in 10 city blocks for traffic infractions.

You reall need your own attorney.

Read more
Answered on 4/21/18, 3:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida