Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

Dog ownerhship

I purchased a purebreed dog but the AKC registration is in a past boyfriends name. I have been caring for her financial and physically for 2 months along. The rabies vac is in my name. I have asked him to take her if he wants her and he says he can't right now. I have a signed doc saying if he can't care for her he will sign her over to me. But I can't force him to sign the registration over. Is the dog legally mine or what steps do I take to ensure that if he refuses to sign the registration over to me.

Asked on 5/03/07, 2:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

florence hessen florence f. hessen,esq

Re: Dog ownerhship


I am truly sorry for your predicimate, especially being an animal lover myself

That being said, I would send him a letter demanding that he sign over the title for the dog, and specify that if not done within a reasonable period you will take him to court. After which point I would go down to the small claims part and file a summons and complaint. Prior to the court date you should try and resolve this matter.

Good Luck

Read more
Answered on 5/03/07, 7:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida