Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

My ex-wife moved out of the state of Florida and moved to PA without legal consent from a judge or from me in January of 2011 ( I went to the house one day and it was empty) and now I find out that she is trying to change my childrens last name to her maiden name (I found that out on my sons facebook). My children are 15 & 16.I feel she has damaged my relationship with my children by telling them all sorts of negative things about me. I am in law enforcement and have not done anything illegal or such to them. I pay child support and I have legal documents saying that I have visitation rights. My health is not good and all I want is to see my children. I have tried to make contact to my children but they refuse to talk or see me anymore.Is any of this legal?

Asked on 5/25/11, 10:52 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Elliot Goldstein Law Offices of Elliot Jay Goldstein

To limit the potential for any jurisdictional issues, I suggest promptly retaining local counsel to pursue a Motion to return the children to this jurisdiction. At the same time, due to her clear attempt to frustrate your relationship with the children, you might want to consider pursuing custody.

If you opt to proceed without the assistance of counsel, be aware that you will not be entitled to a “do over” if things go badly.

The above information is provided without any consideration/payment having been received, and without full knowledge of all of the facts.

An internet inquiry is no substitution for an in-office consultation with an attorney.

If your situation falls within the Greater Tampa Bay area, I would be happy to schedule you for a no obligation half hour office consultation. The main office is in Dunedin, with a satellite location in Tampa.

Feel free to Google me.

Good Luck, Elliot Goldstein

Law Offices of Elliot Jay Goldstein, P.A.

1587 Main St., Ste. C

Dunedin, FL 34698

Tele. No.: 727/455-6596

Law Offices of Elliot Jay Goldstein, P.A.

550 N. Reo St. Ste. 300

Tampa, FL 33609

Tele. No.: 813/810-1500

Read more
Answered on 5/25/11, 11:01 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida