Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

I want to file for divorce but am not sure where to file. I have been separated for 1 year, and am living in FL. My husband stayed in Costa Rica where we lived for the previous 5 years, and we were married in GA which is where his pension is issued. Where do I need to file?

Asked on 9/05/13, 5:29 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Brent Rose The Orsini & Rose Law Firm

You could file in either Costa Rica or Florida. I donít know Costa Rican law, but itís a safe bet that you want to file in the place where you own property, like a house. If you have no property, you can file in either place.

Read more
Answered on 9/05/13, 5:54 pm

John Smitten Carey and Leisure

You can file in FL but if he has no contacts to FL you may have an issue with Long Arm Jurisdiction.

Read more
Answered on 9/06/13, 2:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida