Legal Question in Family Law in Florida


We have our kids removed by dcf back in August 1997 since then we have not been able to comply with the child support ordered because every time one of us has gotten a job we always end up losing to to interference with the state and my mother who has them. We received a letter from the department of revenue to file some papers and was ask to return them by September 21, 2012 so we filled them out and sent them back now on December 22, 2012 a process server shows up with summons papers to increase the support. We can't even pay what we are ordered to now so why would they think we can if it goes up. Please need legal advice going down town to reopen but usually nothing gets done with representation and we can't pay for it right now. Don't know what to do need an attorney.

Asked on 1/07/13, 12:33 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Veronica Robinson Law Offices of E.F. Robinson, P.A.

If your child support case is handled in dependency court, then you had an attorney appointed to represent you in the beginning of the case. That attorney, unless he/she filed a Motion to Withdraw, has been appointed to represent you thoughout the case. You could request that he/she file a Modification of Child Support due to your financial circumstances.

If you child support case is being handled in another division such as the Family Division or Child Support Division, then you can represent yourself on a Modification of Child Support hearing or contact an attorney who may offer you a payment plan.

Best wishes for a satisfactory result,

Attorney Veronica L. Robinson

Law Offices of E.F. Robinson, P.A.

Read more
Answered on 1/07/13, 12:43 pm
John Smitten Carey and Leisure

If you are tapped out financially then you have to file a petition for modification of support. Contact my client for free consultation 727-446-7659.

Read more
Answered on 1/07/13, 1:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida