Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

I have three kids that I dont have custody of because after the divorce I left state to be with family and dint go to court. My ex wife was awarded full custody of our kids and at the time was living with her parents. A little time passed and she left to live on the streets and do meth. This was 4 years ago. I visit and take the kids here and there, support the grandparents, but we have done nothing through the courts because I dont want to stir the pot and create drama. Recently I moved out of state for work and my 14 year old child has stated she wants to live with me. She has been at her aunts house for the last year and is miserable. What are my rights? I cannot go back to that state for court, but if she just runs away and comes to my home and lives with me for 6 months can I file for something here? Her mother is the only one on the court papers with authority to take it up with the courts there, and I highly doubt that she would go any where near the cops or the courts, but the grandparents, or aunt might try. Do they have any rights? Do I have more right as the father to have my child than they do, even if she was living there? Can anyone help? They are in Arizona, I am in Florida.

Asked on 7/10/13, 6:23 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Brent Rose The Orsini & Rose Law Firm

So you abandoned your children to their fate and left them behind, not going to them even when you learned their mother wasn't caring for them, and you still don't want custody of them? Of course your daughter is miserable after the way her parents have treated her. I don't know what rights the relatives may have established with regard to your children, but thank goodness they've done something because, without them, your children may have starved. Go to Arizona, get a lawyer, get custody of your children, man up, and take care of them.

Read more
Answered on 7/10/13, 6:35 am

John Smitten Carey and Leisure

Any kind of action you need to take has to be in AZ, FL has no jurisdiction.

Read more
Answered on 7/10/13, 6:40 am
Carolyn Jones Law Office of Carolyn R. Jones

In order to save your children. You will have to go to Arizona and hire a lawyer there.

Read more
Answered on 7/10/13, 8:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida