Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

Hi. I was married and the court ordered a divorce settlement directing my ex husband to pay me $3000/month. He is behind on his payments. What is the law on going after his assets if he is behind on payments? He has two houses, one in Kentucky and one in Florida.

Asked on 5/26/11, 11:44 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Elliot Goldstein Law Offices of Elliot Jay Goldstein

Whole practice books have been written on pursuing assets on judgments.

I suggest retaining counsel to pursue a Motion To Compel Enforcement/To Show Cause (Contempt).

If the Court finds that he has willfully violated the Final Judgment, there is a very good chance the Court will Order him to pay your attorney fees and costs.

If you opt to proceed without the assistance of counsel, be aware that you will not be entitled to a “do over” if things go badly.

The above information is provided without any consideration/payment having been received, and without full knowledge of all of the facts.

An internet inquiry is no substitution for an in-office consultation with an attorney.

If your situation falls within the Greater Tampa Bay area, I would be happy to schedule you for a no obligation half hour office consultation. The main office is in Dunedin, with a satellite location in Tampa.

Feel free to Google me.

Good Luck, Elliot Goldstein

Law Offices of Elliot Jay Goldstein, P.A.

1587 Main St., Ste. C

Dunedin, FL 34698

Tele. No.: 727/455-6596

Law Offices of Elliot Jay Goldstein, P.A.

550 N. Reo St. Ste. 300

Tampa, FL 33609

Tele. No.: 813/810-1500

Read more
Answered on 5/26/11, 11:56 am
David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

Sit down with counsel to discuss your alternatives. If he has the assets, he should be paying.

Read more
Answered on 5/26/11, 12:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida