Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

Moving Out-of-State when divorced

A friend of mine wants to move to PA but is currently in the process of a divorce in FL. She was married in PA, had her first child in IL, separated from her husband, and fled to FL while pregnate with her second child. Her husband has had no contact with the children in one year although give the opportunity. He will not give a location to send divorce papers, so she has filed alone and it posted in the courthouse. If he does not respond FL will rule in her favor. After the divorce is final she wants to move back to PA with family and friends, but is unsure of the law. She is worried she would have to travel back an forth to FL for any additional herrings and is unsure if she is allowed to take the children out of state. All she knows about her husbands location is that he is in TN. Can anyone give me the details on what she can do.

Asked on 8/22/07, 12:55 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glenn Brown Real World Law, P.C.

Re: Moving Out-of-State when divorced

Well the question would be based on Fl law. I am a PA attorney and don't know Fl law.

However if there is no open case in FL it is unliklely anyone will require her to stay there.

PA would have jurisdiction over any matters concerning the children after they have lived in the state for 6 months.

Good luck to her.

Read more
Answered on 8/23/07, 8:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida