Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

Moving Out of State - Custody

I am wanting to relocate to Texas within the next year. Currently, I reside with my son (6yrs) and my fiance. We will be married before we move. My ex-husband recently moved to another town still here in Florida. I have done some research and know that there are forms that have to be filled out and that my ex could contest the request. I guess what I want to know is how long does the process usually take? Does it matter that he is out of the 50 mile radius? Is this an expensive process. Any advice would be helpful.

Asked on 7/01/08, 12:05 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Re: Moving Out of State - Custody

I would start now. First determine if he is going to contest it. Depending on what happens there, it can be rather simple process. File a Motion to Modify Custody and set it for a hrg. Serve him with the notice and motion and go from there.

If he is going to contest it, you best have a local attorney take care of it. A free consult will tell the best plan and find out what the fees are.

Read more
Answered on 7/01/08, 4:36 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida