Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

about paying child support

If someone has been paying child support for over 6 years without a court order for them to pay once they do go to court would he have to pay the past 6 years all over again? Due to the fact that he�s been paying in cash and has not proof of payment?

Asked on 8/13/07, 9:37 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Scott R. Jay Law Offices of Scott R. Jay

Re: about paying child support

NOTE: This communication is not intended as and should not be interpreted as legal advice. Rather, it is intended solely as a general discussion of legal principles. You should not rely on or take action based on this communication without first presenting ALL relevant details to a competent attorney in your jurisdiction and then receiving the attorney's individualized advice for you. By reading the "Response" to your question or comment, you agree that the opinion expressed is not intended to, nor does it, create any attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. If you do not agree, then stop right here, and do not read any further.

If there is no proof of payment, a person can be ordered to pay monies again. I believe it it limited to a two year period, however, and not the six years you mentioned. All future payments should be by check or money order with a copy kept for future records. If not, always get a receipt in writing for any cash payments. This will avoid this scenario from repeating.

Scott R. Jay, Esq.

Read more
Answered on 8/13/07, 10:12 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida