Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

I am planning on adding my father on my birth certificate since he was never on it. I was born outside of the country so I am resolving this outside of the United States. I am a us citizen and wanted to know how this addition to my birth certificate will affect me. I dont want to change my name. Will I have to change my name in the U.S.?

Asked on 7/10/13, 10:57 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Brent Rose The Orsini & Rose Law Firm

One effect that it will have is that, if you aren't 18 yet, and if he isn't living with your mother, he will presumptively owe child support. Adding him to your birth certificate will not cause you to have to change your name.

Read more
Answered on 7/10/13, 12:17 pm

John Smitten Carey and Leisure

No you will not have to change your name. The FL Office of Vital Statistics will update your records.

Read more
Answered on 7/11/13, 2:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida