Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

I am a retired, free lance litigation trial paralegal. I have a potential client that wants me to do, essentially, all the things I did when I worked at a law firm, which was essentially, being an associate attorney, for a pro se lawsuit. At the law firm, there was, obviously, an attorney who reviewed and signed things. I do not want to accidentally practice law. Should I refer him to the Florida Bar for a referral?

Asked on 7/09/15, 4:18 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Barry Kaufman The Law Office of Barry W. Kaufman

Not necessarily. While you can't give him legal advice, you can certainly proofread a pleading for him for format, spelling, grammar, etc. You have knowledge and you can certainly share that with him to the extent that it enables him to shepherd his case through the process, as it were. I guess the bottom line is that you should do what makes you comfortable and if that means referring him to the Bar, then by all means do it and don't apologize for doing so. But if its something you want to do and you can get the client to understand - clearly understand - that you are not a lawyer and you are just helping him with the technical details, then maybe you can take him on. Hope that helps.

Read more
Answered on 7/09/15, 7:02 pm
John Smitten Carey and Leisure

You are allowed to be a paralegal service only, no legal advice.

Read more
Answered on 7/10/15, 11:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida