Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

My Son has a child with his girlfriend.

He is listed on the birth certificate as the child's father and the baby has his last name. The child was born in Florida and has lived with us since he was born.

Both the parents and the baby live with us rent free in Florida and my husband and I provide all the food, clothes, toys, etc. for the baby.

The mother is from Pennsylvania and my son might be going to jail for a couple of years.

We are in fear that the mother will try to take the baby and go to Pennslyvania; which would not be in the best interest of the baby.

What rights do we as grandparents or my son have regarding the custody of the child? Can we prevent her from leaving the state? Thank you.

Asked on 5/08/13, 11:17 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Carolyn Jones Law Office of Carolyn R. Jones

First grandparents rights to interfere with a intact family were rejected by the Florida Supreme Court. Your son could try and set up time sharing and visitation however he might have trouble doing so if he's convicted. Temporary Relative Custody could be a option.

Read more
Answered on 5/08/13, 11:26 am

John Smitten Carey and Leisure

Grand parents have zero rights. THe father of the child does have rights and he has to file his case asap to enforce them, even if he is going to jail

Read more
Answered on 5/08/13, 1:38 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida