Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

teenage custodial responsability

my 17 year old will be 18 in four months and wants to stay in orlando. I am moving to arizona with my new husband and she does not want to be there nor she wants to go live with her father with whom she has a very poor relationship. I have custody from my divorce agreement. She threatens to disappear if we make her go to her father's. A friend is willing to let her stay in his home so she can finish high school. What are the legal implications for me? for him? What agreements do we need to sign if I agree to let her stay?

Asked on 6/22/09, 4:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brent Rose The Orsini & Rose Law Firm

Re: teenage custodial responsability

If her father is okay with it, then it's all good. All parents have the right to allow their kids to live with someone else, especially at age 17. You really don't even need a written agreement, though I suppose it's not a bad idea.

If you decide to let her stay with the friend without the father's permission or because he objects, then let's look at it practically: I don't want to advise you to break your court-ordered custody agreement, so don't do that. But, is the father really going to file for custody of your daughter when she turns 18 in four months? She'll be 18 by the time the case is heard. Then, his case will be dismissed and it's all a big waste of time.

You should speak to a lawyer and describe your entire situation, but I don't think you'll have any problem letting your daughter stay with the friend.

Read more
Answered on 6/22/09, 12:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida