Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

visitation/contempt of court

I know in Florida that child support and visitation are two seperate things. My childs father(we were never married) has not been in his life for almost 2 years. He did not seek visitation until my husband tried to adopt our child. The father refuses to pay court ordered child support, has his license suspended, and is now facing contempt of court. What would happen if the father is in jail when we have the next visitation hearing? He is very uncooperative. I am seeking supervised visitation at a court facility because he has a record of assault and I fear for my childs safety and psychological well being since this man is basically a stranger to him. Will the judge even look at his past disintrest, failure to pay child support , and past violence? Also, the father changes frequently when he gets bored with them. He is currently unemployed because he quit his last job. Will this weigh in anywhere? I am very confused about what to expect?

Asked on 6/05/08, 8:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brent Rose The Orsini & Rose Law Firm

Re: visitation/contempt of court

Well, it won't help his case that he's not paying support and that he's unemployed, but what hurts him far worse is that he is violent. You have to have a pretty good reason to get supervised visitation, but violence, especially toward or in front of the child, is considered a very good reason. The other factors aren't as relevant.

Read more
Answered on 6/05/08, 10:16 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida