Legal Question in Federal Tort Claims in Florida

Mail Tampering by Relative in FL

Is it safe to assume that the federal mail tampering laws apply to all the U.S.? If so, what can I do about a relative tampering with mail for my deceased father who resided with her temporarily prior to his death? He originally lived in CA, moved to Dominican Republic, and then came to FL for medical care and subsequently died. I am his only heir.

Where can I find legal literature on this subject to send to her?

Please respond to my email address. Thanks for your assistance on this matter.

Asked on 2/23/09, 11:26 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Stephen Petix Quinton & Petix

Re: Mail Tampering by Relative in FL

Tampering with the U.S. Mail is a federal crime, which is investigated by the U. S. Postal Inspectors.

You should be able to get in touch with them by phone. Their number should be in the US Govt section of the White Pages Directory [usually located in the front of the book], under Post Office. The national website for the Postal Service is:

I do not know enough about the facts of your situation to say whether your relative tampered with the mail. After his death his mail should be handed over to the executor or administrator of his estate.

You should probably consult an attorney familiar with the probate law in the state where your father resided at the time of his death.

Read more
Answered on 2/24/09, 1:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Federal Tort Claims Act Litigation questions and answers in Florida