Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Florida

Trial case extension? Lawyer suspended. Can't find paperwork. Thanks for help!

I was in the process of a suit with the insurance company involved in a car accident I suffered injuries from 6 years back. I was frustrated with my lawyer, but he always handled things just in time to keep me unaware there were any problems. When I had finally come to terms emotionally that the case was dead (this lawyer did not return countless phone calls, emails etc.), I recieved mail from the opposing lawyer informing me that they had discovered after some research that my lawyer had been suspended from the bar. It also turns out there is a trial date set for July 11. There's no way I can sort things out by then & it's the day of my sister's baby shower. I am crazy busy studying for the graduate school entrance exam. I had also expressed to my now suspended lawyer that I did not want to go to trial. The deposition was dreadful enough as it was. I had plenty of information to support the claim & push for settelment, but I know now he did no due diligence to present the case. What can I do to delay this course so that I have time to figure all of this out. PS. I also can't find the papers I was sent about the trial etc. Yes, complicating this a lot. I put them somewhere ''safe'' place I can't remember now. What can I do?

Asked on 6/30/08, 12:39 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alan Wagner Wagner McLaughlin, P.A.

Re: Trial case extension? Lawyer suspended. Can't find paperwork. Thanks for help!

Contact a lawyer. The judge will almost certainly agree to postpone the case so that you can get a lawyer. Once you have a lawyer, he or she can review the case and settle, try ot drop it.

Read more
Answered on 6/30/08, 8:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Florida