Legal Question in Immigration Law in Florida

I have a 5 year B1/B2 visa sponsored by a sports team to play games in the U.S. I would like to change teams, but my team has threatened to cancel my visa if I change teams. Can my sports team cancel my visa? Can I enter the U.S. with my current B1/B2 visa to play for another team?

Asked on 11/18/13, 8:52 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Bill Klein Law Office of Bill Travis Klein

You are the only one that can apply for a B1/B2 Visa. As a result, your are the only one that can cancel it.

However, it is very possible that you are here on a different visa that is based on a petition from a sponsor (employer or program).

Consult with an immigration attorney who can explain the process and requirements after reviewing your visa and other immigration documents

Read more
Answered on 11/18/13, 9:00 am
Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

If you have a visa as a professional athlete on a team, you probably (or should) have a "P" visa. If you want to play for another team, then the new team/employer would need to petition you for a P visa for their particular team. If your employment with the current team is terminated, then that employer can also withdraw the petition, which would lead to the revocation of your visa with that team.

I highly recommend that you speak with an experienced Immigration Attorney who is well versed in non-immigrant visas for athletes, since not all Immigration Attorneys handle this type of clientele.

Read more
Answered on 11/18/13, 10:08 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Florida