Legal Question in Immigration Law in Florida

My boyfriend has been a Permanent Resident since 1995, we are trying to apply for his citizenship before his resident expires (July 2013). But we are trying to apply to for a disability (N-648) due to Illiteracy, this disability has been since he was born. We have records from a hospital that can justify this, but USIC say that illiteracy isn't a acceptable disability. We need some help please.

Asked on 4/24/13, 1:49 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Natalie Hall The Law Office of Natalie D. Hall, P.A.

The exception is for persons with developmental or physical disability or mental impairment. Maybe the source/cause of the illiteracy is what needs to be explained.

Take the form submitted and USCIS response to a local immigration attorney for review and assistance.

Read more
Answered on 4/24/13, 4:49 pm
Gina Fraga Acosta & Fraga Law, PLLC

In order to qualify for the Medical Exception (Form N-648) a licensed doctor has to certify and explain that your boyfriend is unable to complete the English and Civics requirements due to a physical or developmental disability or a mental impairment (that this condition impairs his ability to absorb new information, etc). Illiteracy without any underlying medical cause is not sufficient to excuse him from the requirements. You should definitely consult with a qualified Immigration Attorney that could assist you (and your doctor) with correctly completing this form or maybe your boyfriend qualifies for another exception or accommodation.

Read more
Answered on 4/25/13, 6:08 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Florida