Legal Question in Immigration Law in Florida

Hi I am a USA citizen I have a question regarding my husband . It took us 5 years to get his 10 y Legal permanent residency approved which was done in Amman Jordan for usa. he had to go to usa before a certain date but was unprepared to locate permanently at that time, he planed on coming home wrapping up his employment with his brother in law he didn't want to leave him hanging. his brother in law been sick diabetic to make a long story short he has been out of usa for 2 1/2 years we want to go live in USA now I want to know will he have problems with customs entering with a big move like this I do not want un necessary hassles if i can do something here to prevent any thank you please reply

Asked on 10/17/12, 5:49 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Natalie Hall The Law Office of Natalie D. Hall, P.A.

If he has been here and then left and has been away for 2.5 years he may be deemed to have abandoned his green card. He needs to go to the consulate/embassy and inquire about a Returning Resident Visa where he shows that his period of absence was for circumstances beyond his control and that he maintained ties with the US. If he is not found eligible he will have to reapply for his Permanent Residency with you filing as the Petitioner for him.

If he did not enter, he will need to reapply for Permanent Residency again.

Natalie Hall, Esq.

(407) 412-7035

P.S.- The information provided here is for general purposes only and does not create an attorney/client relationship of any kind.

Read more
Answered on 1/15/13, 5:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Florida