Legal Question in International Law in Florida

Can a lawyer with a Colombian degree pratice in the U.S.? I know that the laws of different but I also know that one state in the U.S. (Louisiana) has both common and civil law. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide on the subject.

Asked on 5/23/10, 6:10 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Luba Smal Smal Immigration Law Office

Any foreign-trained lawyer will have to take and pass a Bar exam in the State where he plans to practice. Some States allow foreign lawyers to take Bar exam after they got their LLM degree from an American university, for example. Check the rules with the Bar Association of the State where you plan to practice, as it varies by State.

In any case, one can't practice law in USA just because he is a lawyer in Colombia. As a minimum, one will need to get a License to practice law from the State in the USA.

Note: The above response is provided for legal information purposes only and should not be considered a legal advice; it doesn’t create an attorney-client relationship. For more information or to schedule a consultation, please visit

Read more
Answered on 5/25/10, 10:49 am

Related Questions & Answers

More International Law questions and answers in Florida