Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Florida


I have a tenant who has for some time had her estranged husband move in with her and her son. Her husband, has an extensive criminal record. She never notified me that he moved in with her however, I have had several neighbors tell me they have seen a gentleman there with her and her son AND, I recceived a notice from the bankruptcy court that states that she and her husband (listed at the subject address) have filed for bankruptcy. She has been a good tenant for almost 3 years now, always pays her rent on time however, because of the additional tenant, I am concerned that there will be additional wear and tear on the property AND I would therefore like to increase the rent. I never asked her for a security deposit because she came to me as a single parent who was trying to get her and her son's life back together. She has yet to notify me of her husband moving back in with her so I am a bit upset but, do not want to ruffle any feathers because of her rent payment history. Clearly, she violated the lease but, I want to know what I can do legally at this point.

Asked on 10/01/13, 1:45 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

Review your written lease with an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 10/01/13, 1:50 pm

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

You may have certain rights to pursue eviction per your lease, but would it make business sense? Why not just ask for additional rent, if the lease permits?

Read more
Answered on 10/01/13, 6:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Florida