Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Florida

Landlord harassment

My landlord is harassing myself and my husband constantly. Our rent has been paid on time every month but because we moved a yard decoration from the front yard to the backyard (the wood was rotting on it) she has been threatening us. Last week she called my boss and commenced to tell him that she has troubles getting payments out of me (I have receipts to prove differently) and when my boss told her that is sounds like a civil matter she said she wanted him to know what kind of person he hired.

She sends her mother over every month to inspect the property and if anything she left is out of order we get called on the carpet over it, i.e. her outside lawn furniture is not where she wants it.

My husband and I want out of this lease - we have found another place to live but can we legally move? I can't send her a letter stating we are moving out because she refuses to give us her address - she claims if we want her we can email or call her. So I can't even send her a certified letter to get out. I'm at my wits end.

Asked on 11/12/10, 6:17 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Lucreita Becude Lucreita D. Becude, P.A.

You lease agreement should have an address on it. Where are you paying the rent? Under Florida law if you willfully, maliciously and rpeatedly follow, harass, or cyberstalk another person you can be charged with stalking. I suggest you do so.

Read more
Answered on 11/17/10, 6:37 am

Shelly Schellenberg MI & FL private practice

Go to your local tax assessor, or go online to the web site. The person and address that is responsible for the property tax should be your landlord. Use that address. You may need a real estate attorney to protect your rights under the law, especially if you plan to terminate the lease based on your landlord's behavior.

Read more
Answered on 11/18/10, 6:22 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Florida