Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Florida

I live in Florida , St LUCIE county, my landlord has filed for eviction even though I have paid all monies due and continues to call me for rent after he has filed and I have paid my rent to the court clerk as the eviction summons directed me to do. The lawyer now says he wants me to pay another 2250$ as a good faith deposit. I don't owe any more money, I don't have any more money. I have given my answer and all receipts of payment to the judge and he's asking for more money. How can he do that, how can I be evicted when they continue to accept my money? the landlord tenant act states that if money is accepted even though there is a discrepancy, the landlord cannot bring a civil case because payment has been accepted. What do I do ? I have until the end of July that my lease is up. All rent is paid, and I have the judge telling me if I don't pay the " extra" I will not get a hearing and may be evicted. If I'm going to be evicted can I get my rent for the month that I have remaining back? Please help me. I have two daughters and o really need your expertise.

Asked on 6/23/13, 9:34 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

Find a local attorney. You have to pay all amounts which are alleged as due to the Court. If you have done that you get your hearing. If that amount is more than is actually due, you get it back.

Read more
Answered on 6/23/13, 10:14 am

Lucreita Becude Lucreita D. Becude, P.A.

You don't say whose lawyer - if this is something that the lawyer told you - get another attorney. Or go to the courthouse yourself and ask for a hearing.

Read more
Answered on 6/27/13, 5:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Florida