Legal Question in Legal Malpractice in Florida

Is this legal

I recieved a notice for a student loan that my wages were going to be garnished. I was desperate and found an attorny in the paper saying I could file bankrucy for as little as 300.oo. I went to see an attorny I told him I just wanted the garnishment stopped he said I could take care of it I paid him cash 175.00.and the total turned out to be 700.oo which a included arush to stop the garnishment. Again I recieved a letter from the collection dept saying that my taxes were being held so I called the attorny again and he said just add 9 more dependents.for taxes and I did now again I find out that you can not file backrupcy for student loans. I recieved a letter again for garnishment and I called the attorny he now tells me You cant file bankrupcy for student loans and I told him he said I could and charged me 700.oo and now he will not return my calls now I owe IRS and again my wages will be garnished

Asked on 3/12/01, 10:19 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Frank Shooster Shooster Kahn & Kleinman, P.A.

Re: Is this legal

Call the Florida Bar and consider filing a bar complaint. There's no cost and if the ethics committee agrees they can order restitution so at least you'd get your legal fees back.

Read more
Answered on 6/20/01, 2:32 pm

Anthony Comparetto Comparetto Law Firm

Re: Is this legal

the problem is you got very bad advice and your chances of sueing him for a large settlement are slim, (in my opinion and other attorneys may think different) Normally, I review a legal malpractice case and decide what the damages are to the person. In your case your credit was already impaired by the garnishment and student loan problem so I would value your case less. Good luck talk to a local attorney.

Read more
Answered on 5/23/01, 8:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Legal Malpractice Law questions and answers in Florida