Legal Question in Military Law in Florida

I have just enlisted in the US Army and am leaving for Basic Training soon. My boyfriend and I have been together for four years now. We have an apartment together as well as two dogs. I would like to make sure that my rights as well as his are protected and that if God forbid anything were to happen to me, he is included in all documents and so on and so forth. I believe I need to create a will, and possibly a power of attorney. However I do not know if they are neccessary or if there is anything I do need to do that I don't know of. Also, should I do this before or after I leave for Basic Training? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

Asked on 11/04/09, 1:11 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Chris McChesney The Law Firm of Chris McChesney

Proper estate planning can ensure your wishes are carried out if something happens to you. Otherwise, any property you own will go to your heirs (spouse, children, parents, etc.). If you want an unmarried partner (i.e. your boyfriend) to inherit property, it needs to be specified in a will or other estate planning document. The military may have estate planning services available to you and you can make your boyfriend a beneficiary of any financial benefits (retirement plans, last pay check, life insurance, etc.).

Read more
Answered on 11/11/09, 2:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Military Law questions and answers in Florida