Legal Question in Native American Law in Florida

Obtaining legal documents

I need to find out how I can obtain a legal document to prove that I am native american. I desperatly need this for college scholarships because in order to grant them, they need legal proof. I have searched for hours on the internet, and don't know what else to do. I know that I qualify for most scholarships, but have nothing legal to back me up. Please help!

Asked on 12/08/99, 12:29 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Andrew Sargent Law Office of Andrew H. Sargent

Re: Obtaining legal documents

Your school probably wants proof that you are enrolled. Are you a member of a specific tribe? If so they should be able to help you. If not, are you enrolled with the BIA. If not you may want to do so now. They will be able to advise you of the requirements. Enrollment will qualify you for the benefits due Native Americans You will most likely need your birth certificate and proof a parent or grand parent was a Native American. BIA should help you. If not check out some of the Native American web sites for further help. Good Luck

Read more
Answered on 12/08/99, 3:22 pm
Harold M. Weiner Coles & Weiner, P.C.

Certifying you are Native American

In addition to Mr. Sargent's post above, you should contact your specific tribe for the method they utilize to "prove " tribal membership. There is the Dawes roll for the Cherokee Nation; you can contact the Cherokees in Talequah, Oklahoma.

Depending on your tribe ( check BIA and the web) if you can satisfy them you should be able to satisfy the school.

Read more
Answered on 12/11/99, 12:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Native American Law questions and answers in Florida