Legal Question in Personal Injury in Florida

My 19yr old son went to Miami to vist a friend where his friends parent allowed him to consume alcohol after they went to bed my son and his friend went out to a club. My sons friend gave my son the keys to go to the car (his friends sisters car) and at some point my son decided to drive the car and hit a tree. Totalled the car was arrested for a DUI, careless driving for driving the wrong way and an open bottle in the vehicle. He blew a 0.22 as he doesnt remember getting into the car or crashing it he only remembers waking up in Jail. I dont believe none of this would have taken place had he been allowed to drink at his friends house, do we have any legal standing with this?

Asked on 8/11/10, 1:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nicholas Dorsten Blake & Dorsten, P.A.

The parents may have a responsibility if they knew his age, allowed him to drink in their house and/or provided him with alcohol. However, this would probably only come into play if your son had been involved in a serious crash, hurting or killing a person. It sounds like the only damages suffered was your son being arrested for a DUI. If he willingly drank the alcohol that was provided to him, you probably would not suceed in any case you bring forth against the parents. Still, you should check with a local attorney in your area to see if this case is worth pursuing.


Nicholas Dorsten

Blake & Dorsten, P.A.

Clearwater, FL

Read more
Answered on 9/01/10, 8:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Florida