Legal Question in Personal Injury in Florida

I am a 78 yr old woman who resides in Orlando FL, 32822 zip. On June 20th, 2016 tripped and fell on an on even pavement in my county club community. I did not break a bone, thankfully but I did go to the er, had to wear a brace for a few days in order to heal properly and have a scar. The community leveled the sidewalk the next morning (I do have before and after pics of the sidewalk as well as of my leg). The country club not only has not called to see how I am or sent a get well card but has not yet paid the bill that my insurance company covered for the ER. I just called their insurance and the adjuster asked me point blank "what is the fall worth to you? How much $ are you looking for" I really don't know how much it is "worth". Can you please help me to answer this question? What's the monetary value for my fall, my time I had to stay home because I couldn't walk, fir my pain &suffering;, the permanent scar I have on my leg, and basically how disrespectful & careless the Country Club has been. Not even a get well card (?) I don't know how to put a price on it. Nor what price TO give.

Asked on 8/18/16, 9:15 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jason Neufeld Neufeld, Kleinberg & Pinkiert, PA, a personal-injury and elder law firm

There is no exact value. I would also say that you are doing yourself a disservice by not hiring a lawyer. The lawyer not only negotiates with the association for you, but they also negotiate down your medical bills.

If you insist on negotiating yourself, assuming you are back to normal and the scar is not particularly gruesome (still include a photo), I would suggest starting at three times the medical bills and let them negotiate you down from there.

Again, your negotiating power is limited because a lawyer would be threatening a law suit if they did not settle for fair value. Your threat if filing suit, without a lawyer, just doesn't have as much teeth.

Best of luck to you

Read more
Answered on 8/18/16, 12:53 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Florida