Legal Question in Personal Injury in Florida


My daughter rear ended another vehicle and we're sued. I plan on retaining a lawyer but a quick question. What can they get from me? The apparent amount is quite a bit more than I have and my house and van are not worth what I owe on them in these economic times. Will I have to make payments or sell stuff or what?

Asked on 2/23/09, 10:02 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

Re: Accident

Unless you broke the law and drove without insurance, or did something outrageously dumb like not reporting the accident to your insurer, your insurer hires a lawyer and defends you. Immediately give the paperwork to your insurer so they can do what you paid them to do.

Read more
Answered on 2/23/09, 11:32 pm

Kenneth L. Shigley Chambers, Aholt & Rickard, LLP

Re: Accident

First, turn it over to your auto insurance company. The insurance company is obligated under the insurance contract to provide a defense for you.

Second, you may want to consult an attorney on your own. I'm not giving you legal advice without more facts, and I'm not creating an attorney-client relationship online. However, you may want to ask your attorney whether it is appropriate in this circumstance to send a letter to your insurance company, by certified mail return receipt requested, requesting that the company take advantage of any opportunity to settle within your policy limits.

Read more
Answered on 2/26/09, 7:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Florida