Legal Question in Personal Injury in Florida

I signed a final settlement statement showing a net proceeds to client amount. After submitting this, and endorsing the check from the insurance company, the lawyers office emailed me requesting I sign a revised final settlement statement with a balance almost $500 less than the original stating that they had made an error when subtracting the final costs. Can they legally do this or do they have to pay me what the original statement says?

Asked on 4/10/13, 5:37 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Burns David H. Burns, P. A.

Yes, they can do that if it was simply an honest error. You should double check the math and ask for an explanation if anything about the revised final settlement statement is still unclear.

Read more
Answered on 4/10/13, 9:28 am

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

Yes it can be done. if there is a significant settlement and fee being earned and paid, you may want to ask your attorney to reduce his fee. You can explain you agreed to the settlement based on the net results and the error was theirs in the making. Just another thought.

Read more
Answered on 4/10/13, 9:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Florida