Legal Question in Personal Injury in Florida

I am the victim of a hit and run driver employed by AT&T. I recorded the tag number and filed a traffic report with the state of Florida. This was in July, In September they did an appraisal of the damage. I had two passengers in my vehicle at the time of the accident who can attest to this. I contacted AT&T for the status of my case and they said the driver said he didn't do it even though they admitted there was damage to their vehicle. They appraised the damage at $270.00 and said they would only pay half of that because we could not prove their driver hit me. I hate to see this guy get away with this. Do I have any other options?

Asked on 12/12/12, 12:24 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

File suit. It is not worth it unfortunately as the cost of filing will be 50% of the entire damage AND you will need to hire an expert to testify at trial. You can attempt to negotiate with them by mail and suggest something closer to 100%, like 85% and see what they say.

Read more
Answered on 12/12/12, 12:39 pm
David Burns David H. Burns, P. A.

If you had no personal injury and only property damage, you can file in small claims court in the county where the accident occurred. The small claims clerk can advise you regarding the procedure. If you had a personal injury, you should get a free consultation with a personal injury attorney. You have four years to bring a lawsuit if the accident occurred in the State of Florida. If elsewhere, you will have to comply with time limits applicable to the locale.

Read more
Answered on 12/12/12, 12:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Florida