Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Florida

My boyfriend and I are both 20 years old and are not married. We are moving into our own house together soon (we live together now but with his mom so we don’t pay rent) and everything is in his name (the mortgage, title, bills, etc.). I am going to contribute and essentially pay rent every month to him and I’m also giving him a lump sum once we close for renovations. What does Florida law say about an unmarried couple living in a house together with one person’s name on it? If we were to break up, would I have any protection in regards to the house? Also, if we were to get married in a couple years while living in the house, would that change the ownership status of the house?

Asked on 5/18/20, 3:16 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

As title is in his name, he is the owner. You should have a written agreement giving you a lien for renovations you pay for to protect you, should you leave. Rent merely gives you the right to reside there. Should you marry, title should be changed to add you wife.

Read more
Answered on 5/18/20, 3:25 pm
Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

You need an attorney to represent you now while everything is good. If you break up it will be complicated

Read more
Answered on 5/18/20, 4:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Florida