Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Florida

Hello! I'd like to ask a question concerning my situation. I have lived as a resident in an apartment complex in Tampa, Florida since 2004. I had been paying rent to my room mate since then except for when I moved out briefly to go get married in another state but still had a lot of my belongings here. Well, I was gone for almost a year and moved back into this same apartment about a year ago with my new husband. Well, management at the apt. complex had changed staff since then. They had asked me how long I had lived here and I told them the entire story. They said that I needed to apply to their tenant application and go through an extensive credit,background check,ect. I have my hubby and I listed with the D.M.V. as living here for a year now as seen on my driver's license and his state I.D. Plus I have been paying the internet bill here for a year now as well in my name listed under this apt. number and address. My concern is that over 20yrs. ago their was an assault charge listed as a felony on my record and their policy states that they do not rent to anyone whom has a felony on their record. However, can they even make me apply for residency here when I have proof that I have lived here and been paying rent to my room mate for a year now? In actuality, I paid rent and lived here since 2004 previously except for the brief leave I took to get married. And I even have all of the neighbors in this building that like me and even some of the office staff like me. What rights do I have if they try to deny me living here after all this time? Thanks in advance for any help! ~ Gina

Asked on 9/29/11, 10:28 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alan Wagner Wagner McLaughlin, P.A.

Yes. You were not renting from them, you were renting from the roommate.

Read more
Answered on 9/29/11, 5:15 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Florida