Legal Question in Social Security Law in Florida

Well Im 17 Years Of Age And Ever Since I Was Young My Father Has Collected Social Security Benefits For My Brother & I. I Reside In The State Of Florida If That Helps Any & Was Wondering How I Would Collect That Instead Of My Father? Since It Is My Own Money, Stating That The Money Is Mine.

Asked on 5/31/13, 5:15 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jane-Robin Wender Wender Law, P.A.

If he is your legal father, you would have to be emancipated and that would require an attorney. As your father, assuming you are living with him, he has the right to use that monthly for food clothes housing etc. that money will end when you are 18 and since both your brother and you are collecting, it would appear that the money is based upon his disability, not yours. In which case, if you didn't live with him, there should be no check.

Read more
Answered on 6/03/13, 7:15 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Social Security Law questions and answers in Florida